I see a lot of complaining nowadays about how the previous generation had it so much easier, as it relates to work and college. I challenge that notion. Here’s why this current generation has more opportunity than any in history:
Disclaimer: I didn’t attend college, not even a trade school. I make a great living. I’m from a blue collar, middle class family, no inheritance or trust fund. It took me a long time and a lot of work to get where I am. A college degree is not necessary to earn a comfortable living. Yes it’s required for certain fields, but not all.
Higher Education was way cheaper for the previous generation of boomers, (of which I am not a part of) See my other post about student loans. They also had cheaper cars, homes, groceries, & healthcare. The majority of these price increases can be attributed to inflation from bad money, overbearing government regulations, and restrictive city planning committees.
But let’s examine where this new generation does have it better, as it relates to work and education:
- Near universal access to information: Boomers didn’t have the internet or YouTube. They had to learn though books, classes, and gasp… the local library reference section and microfiche! Today, you can literally learn and teach yourself almost anything, on YT, Kahn, or any other low cost/free learning platform, all from your own home, with your cat in you lap, and a beer in your hand. This access to knowledge is unprecedented in the history of the human race.
- Remote work: You can work from almost anywhere for a large percentage of jobs. Boomers had to drive everyday, in the snow, uphill both ways… or even worse they had to move to find work or change jobs. The ability to work remotely is a new privilege unique to this generation.
- Contract work: Not only can you now work for multiple companies, giving you the freedom and ability to work on your own terms, but this also allows you to keep taking on more and more customers and clients to grow you business and portfolio and eventually hire out. For businesses, the ability to work with contractors, has lowered the cost of hiring immensely, giving businesses more wiggle room. The idea of contract work is currently under attack by unions, nanny state governments, and entitled people who don’t understand or respect how voluntary agreements function.
- Online Job/Client Platforms: Instead of being geographically limited to looking in your local newspaper for jobs, or perusing the mall. You can now create an online profile and find freelance work (even blue collar) with customers and clients, locally and globally. Not available to boomers. Imagine having to pay for an ad in the phonebook or newspaper and naming your business AAA air conditioning repair.
- Websites and Social Media: You can now build a website for nearly nothing, build a brand on social media for free, design graphics super cheap, get access to free stock images, and create and launch your own business for virtually no overhead and no physical location required, all that’s needed is time, effort, and patience. Boomers had to drop tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars for a brick and mortar shop to start any business, and physically be there to run it.
- Ebay, Etsy, Online Shops: Sell your stuff online to anyone on the planet , without needing to wait for a check in the mail. This is almost like magic.
- Crypto’s: Get paid under the table again, but online. Actually boomers did have this benefit of under the table cash work, but we’ve made it better as you can now pay someone in Japan in less than 15 minutes while circumventing all governments and banks. Yes there are businesses that accept crypto, and keep it in crypto without ever converting to fiat. Not for everyone, but what an option to have.
TLDR: WOW…. HOW LUCKY WE ARE TO BE PART OF THIS NEW GENERATION
Article from r/Libertarian: For a Free Society