Can’t Seal a Case Just Because the Parties Settled
The parties in Woods v. Rocky Vista Univ. (a disability discrimination claim brought by a student against a university) asked for the docket to be sealed:
2. On May 19, 2020, Plaintiff filed a Complaint with Jury Demand [ECF No. 01] in
3. On November 17, 2020, the Parties entered into a Confidential Settlement
Agreement and General Release (“Agreement”) in the above-captioned matter.
4. On November 20, 2020, the Parties filed a Joint Stipulation of Dismissal with
Prejudice [ECF No. 32].
5. As part of the consideration described in the Agreement, the Parties agreed to file
a joint motion requesting that the Court restrict access to the records in this lawsuit. Additionally, the public has no valid interest in the contents of these records.
6. Pursuant to D.C.COLO.LCivR 7.2, the parties request that entire proceeding related
to the above-captioned matter be deemed a Level 1 Restriction, all
Article from Latest – Reason.com