Repairing the Rule of Law: A Post-Trump Agenda
Paul Rosenzweig and Vishnu Kannan offer a “post-Trump agenda” for repairing the rule of law. I do not agree with every item on the list, and might suggest the addition of a few other items, but agree that these sorts of reforms should be at the top of Congress’ agenda after the next election. And while styled as a “post-Trump” agenda, these reforms would be worth trying to enact whether or not Trump is reelected this Fall.
Rosenzweig and Kannan’s list consists of the following reforms (each of which is described in more detail in their piece):
- Reform of the Federal Vacancies Reform Act to prevent perpetual “acting” appointments.
- Mandatory disclosure of presidential candidate tax returns and strengthening of presidential financial disclosure.
- Redefining “emergency” authority to limit such declarations generally.
- Clearer prohibitions on reprogramming funds.
- Enhanced inspectors general protection.
- Statutory protection for special cou
Article from Latest – Reason.com