We do not live in a free market economy. Neither Democrats or Republicans support a free market economy.
I commonly hear that Republicans and Trump support a free market economy. We live in a corporatist economy, it isn’t even close to free.
- 20 billion a year in oil subsidies. Oil industry wouldn’t even be profitable without government handouts.
- 20 billion a year in agriculture subsidies as well.
- 2 trillion dollar stimulus bill which bailed out big businesses, most notably airlines who have been doing stock buy backs for years.
- Competition restricted in healthcare industry.
- Abuse of patents, most notably insulin where it’s been patented for 90 years.
- Companies like TurboTax lobbying politicians to keep the tax code complicated for their own profit.
- Tax incentives out the wazoo. $0 in federal taxes on $11 billion in profits for Amazon a now 1.65 trillion dollar company.
- Almost 100 companies in the Fortune 500 paying $0 in federal taxes.
All of these things come at the expense of tax payers and the national debt which will come back to haunt us eventually. Lobbying honestly just sounds like a fancy word for bribery. The solution to fixing government caused issues isn’t more government regulation. Congress is paid off and there is little we can do about it.
Please let me know if any of my statements are incorrect, and add any other examples of our economy being regulated by the government.
Article from /r/Libertarian: For a Free Society