What even is the police anymore [Rant]
In 2020 alone 1,127 people were killed by police.
Here are some facts: SOURCE
- 96% were killed by police shootings. Other 4% using tasers, physical force, & police vehicles.
- Officers were charged only 16 out of all the cases. ~1% of all killings by police.
- 50% of these cases has video evidence
- Of the identified police officers involved in shootings, 444 officers, at least 14 has shot or killed someone before, and 5 had prior multiple shootings.
- Most killings began with police responding to suspected non-violent offenses or cases where no crime was reported.
- 121 people were killed after police stopped them for traffic violation.
- Out of 1,127 cases, 658 of them were suspected non-violent offense or no reported crime.
- 94 People were killed after police responded to reports of someone behaving erratically or having a mental health crisis.
- 188 within a domestic disturbance
- 80 people who were killed by police were unarmed.
- 65 Unarmed w/ Vehicle
- 180 with a knife/sharp object.
- 59 with other
- 79 undetermined.
- 670 has a gun. (WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW SOMEONE TO KILL YOU)
- Most unarmed people killed by police were people of color.
- ~34% were African American
- ~19% were Hispanic
- ~38% were white.
- Black people were more likely to be killed by police, more likely to be unarmed, and less likely to be threatening someone when killed.
- In the US ~13% of offenders were African American.
- African Americans were killed by police 27% of all killings.
- 35% of them were not armed.
- 36% were Unarmed and Not Alleged to be Threatening.
- 65 People were killed by police for having a vehicle as a “weapon.”
- 55 of these cases people were killed when police shot at a moving vehicle.
- 1 in 6 people with a gun were not threatening anyone when they were killed.
- 58% of all killings by police in 2020 – 626 deaths – were traffic stops, police responses to mental health crises, or situations where the person was not reportedly threatening anyone with a gun.
Why the FUCK do we still have this issue. Is it the idolization, the criminal misconduct, just blatant understanding that police kill people? What the fuck is it.
I’m blessed as hell to be white and male. I don’t have to sweat too much when I get pulled over, I know that I can accept my ticket and be on my way. But then the next hour I hear about people of color (POC), are being literally KILLED for seemingly no reason at all. I stand firm with BLM and ACAB. It is our moral duty to our brothers and sisters of color to lift them up and protect them when needed.
As stated in my stats above, 34% of unarmed people killed by police were black. 64% being POC. My question isn’t why are unarmed POC being shot, its why unarmed PEOPLE are being shot to death.
Police aren’t judge, jury, and executioner. It’s written into law. A country where a group of people, funded by the government, can use excessive force, or demand compliance under threat of death is not a police force, it’s a kill squad. Police is a construct to help keep people within a society, living in (objectively) safe society. If you are deemed to dangerous for society, you go to jail. We agree on this. For a service that is declared democratic, it is nowhere NEAR democratic, authoritarian suits them better.
And even IF after your arrest/death, you were exonerated for no crime committed, they will still find a way to justify your arrest/death to keep you either in their car/jail, or to kill you. Those are your two options. Take George Floyd for an example. The man tried to buy cigarettes with a counterfeit $20 bill. When I had worked in retail the main reason someone had to me telling them that they used a counterfeit bill would be “Shit, really? I traded a fifty for two twenties and one ten.” There are some people that would intentionally try to buy shit with fake bills, but the chance is slim. And usually those people want to get cash for the cash, not purchasing something tangible. Floyd was then confronted by police and then killed by an officer kneeling on his neck for 8 minutes while he should that he could not breath. Medical examinations had found that Floyd was killed by asphyxiation. Clear and cut, the police officer murdered Floyd for “Non-Compliance.” When that story broke, it was then not the breathing that killed him, it was the fentanyl in his system that killed him. This VIDEO from Dr. Bernard of ChubbyEmu, a licensed medical professional, made about the subject and why Fentanyl did NOT kill Floyd is explanatory. So now they’re blaming COVID-19 in his death, since he HAD it prior to being killed, therefore the virus stopped his breathing, not the officer videoed to be on his neck.
So now we have an authoritarian death squad, with almost-full protection under the law to do whatever the fuck they want. A recent post in r/Libertarian highlighted how fucking detrimental getting harassed by a police officer can be. If they determine that they don’t like you, or targeted you, your life can go out the window. The minute you’re arrested you can lose your job, and for those in America, that means losing your Health Insurance, Life Insurance, & Income in one fell swoop. If you’re in college, you’ll be kicked out, but still owe. You have to pay court fees, lawyer’s fees, and bail. If you can’t afford these, then you’re just SOL, then sent to jail PRIOR to your sentencing, regardless of your crime.
Ripping apart families is not what the police should be doing, police should not be responding to mental health crises, police should not be harassing the homeless, police should not being doing…”x.” We have a lot to say on what police shouldn’t be able to do, and we have those because we see it every day.
No person should ever have to be scared by a police presence, it should be comforting and having the feeling of safety. But if you feel more endangered being around police officers, then something needs to change. Just what? I want to hear what y’all have to say! Thanks for reading this far.
Edit: some grammatical errors & spelling.
Article from r/Libertarian: For a Free Society