Does it seem like a lot of people have missed the point or am I being nostalgic?
I’ve been a libertarian since college back then it seemed to be a smaller group of likeminded individuals and people would make fun of us for wearing tinfoil hats. We all seemed to agree on some basic truths however.
- Free markets are crucial for a productive society and will correct themselves
- Freedom of speech and religious liberty are not negatable
- Do no harm (If it doesn’t hurt anyone else, its not their business)
- Government has a basic function of providing essential services. Including
- Settling contract disputes (Civil Courts not criminal courts)
- Public safety (fire/police)
- Protecting property.
- National defense (Not Offence)
It seems like a lot of people are now claiming to be libertarians for both sides of the political spectrums but advocating for things that go against core beliefs. Socialism, Foreign intervention, trade intervention.
Article from r/Libertarian: For a Free Society